Friday, September 16, 2016

Woven Placemats


Just for fun I wanted to make some woven placemats---without a pattern or tutorial. Haha!

I started with 4" wide strips of fabric.
The white is 17" long and the colors are 13 1/4" long.

I ironed them in half then folded the edges in and pressed.

Next step was to fold them all up to 1" wide and sew a top stitch down both sides of each strip.
Note I did NOT use any stabilizer..........

The fun weaving process begins...

It was quite messy on the last row. 
I didn't have a good method of weaving.

But it looked just fine when done.

I zig zagged the edges to hold it together and into the wash......

Oops! Yikes!


What a mess! This is what I get for no stabilizer!

But all is not lost. Ironing each section helped.

Then I sewed a wavy line between all the rows to hold them together!

This is placemat #2 in progress.

This time I  pinned a row or 2 and then SEWED it down!!

The zig zag edge is fairly ugly. I need to add binding.

Now into the wash to see how this one holds up! 

The binding is much better to finish the edge.

This time they went through the wash very nicely.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the process. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tutorial and showing the mistakes. I've seen scrappier ones made in the past and wondered how they would hold up in the wash. Sewing the edges down the folded edges makes for a much sturdier version, and they are pretty too :)

    ReplyDelete