I asked my son if the arrangement looked good.
(He likes to fancy himself an art critic so I indulge him now and then.)
Then I added a 2" plain border.
The tutorial says to sew the sides and bottom and turn right side out.
I thought that would make the whole thing difficult at the end so that's why I added the 2" border.
My quilt will require binding. I layered my bean bag quilt: batik backing, 2 layers of muslin, quilt top. Then I sewed the vertical lines and the lowest horizontal line--think COMB with the tines pointing up.
These are the plastic pellets that I used. This 2 lb. bag had 24-- 1/4c scoops in it. So I needed 2 more bags to finish the quilt. These pellets cost $9.99 each at JoAnns! (Good thing I had coupons!) They can be purchased cheaper online (ebay) but check for steep shipping costs because of the weight.
I put 1/4 cup of pellets BETWEEN the muslin layers, then shook it down to the bottom row.
You have to smooth the pellets away from the needle!
Yes, I broke a needle sewing this project and the tip of the needle is stuck inside the quilt in one of the pellets. Ugh.
I tried pinning the rows above the pellets to contain them but that failed.
You have to smooth them out of the way for each square.
In the last row, I added the pellets as I came to each square so they wouldn't fall out of the lower squares before I got to them.
This is the finished Bean Bag Quilt. It weighs 7 lbs. 40" x 49"
(Most of these white fabrics are from the Grand Illusion quilt I just finished piecing.)
This is a great lap quilt. It feels neat, sounds neat too.
It's like a hug waiting to happen.