Tuesday, February 12, 2019


I'm not sure how it happened but I saw this quilt called Radiance designed by Stacey Day featuring Slow and Steady fabrics by Tula Pink and fell in love with it.

Radiance Quilt Pattern 

With a little research I found the free pattern, downloaded it and printed it. FREE.

Slow and Steady fabrics designed by Tula Pink. 
This is the Tortoise and the Hare story. This set of fabrics includes: the tortoise, the hare, pit crew, grandstand, clear skies, winner's circle, track flags and tortoise shell.

To make cutting easier there is a set of acrylic templates for sale.

I loved how complicated yet simple the design is. Like a puzzle.

The fabrics were so gorgeous I really enjoyed "working" on this quilt.

I cut all the diamonds and set them in 2 trays.

The way I did the triangle part was to cut sets of the background 3.5" x 4.5" and had those fabrics in order of use laid on my ironing board. Then I cut the triangles as I needed them.

Sewing was fun, fun, fun.

To make sure the blocks didn't get lost or out of order I sewed them into rows as I finished them. There is a single center row that connects mirror image halves. I started on the outside rows and made 2 of each block working toward the center.

Finished including the quilt label.

I looked at the quilt from each direction to decide which way I wanted it to hang.

For now "Radiance" is hanging like this.

I enjoyed the challenge of this quilt as it helped settle my mind during the weeks leading up to my daughter Lynn's wedding. Welcome to the family J.R. Southers!

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Quiltville Good Fortune Mystery Quilt

Each year the Friday after Thanksgiving begins the newest Quiltville mystery quilt designed by Bonnie Hunter. She gives us a new clue each Friday. This year I have changed dramatically from her colors to Mardi Gras colors and black for my neutrals.
Bonnie's colors are Green, Blue Red, Orange and whites for neutrals.

This is my visual cheat sheet. When Bonnie calls for white and red units, I make them black and purple. This chart kept me from getting confused.

Clue #1 looks like this.

Clue #2 looks like this.

Clue #3 looks like this.

Clue #4 looks like this.

This is an example of how my units will play together in a quilt.

Clue #5 looks like this.

Clue #6 looks like this.

I laid these units out pretty quickly just to get  an idea of the color play. I really hope Bonnie makes the outer blocks into a ribbon border like I did here. There are exactly enough blocks to do the outer border on a 72" x 72" quilt. 

Clue #7 looks like this.

This is the finished quilt pattern in her colors.

This is on the design wall to see what mine will look like.

Done with these blocks.

Done with these too.

Good Fortune hanging next to Celtic Solstice--the first mystery quilt I made.

This quilt will be given to my daughter, Lynn, who is having her bachelorette party in New Orleans later this month. It is her Good Fortune that I used Mardi Gras colors. It's not a traditional wedding quilt but I think it suits her. 
Thanks, Bonnie Hunter, for another fun mystery quilt. I've been participating in the mystery fun since Celtic Solstice. So Much Fun!!!

Sasha says, "Time to walk?"


I love the black with purple dots!


Sunday, November 18, 2018

Jelly Roll Rug

Jelly Roll Rug    27" x 41"

Start with a roll of batting 2 1/4" wide by Bosal called Katahdin On-A-Roll, and the Jelly Roll Rug pattern by RJ Designs then add......

.....one jelly roll of pretty fabric Kaffe Fasset by Free Spirit.

The strips of fabric are sewn together end to end. As I did this I wound them onto an empty toilet paper roll.

To keep the batting and fabric tidy while unwinding I hung a dowel rod off the back of my sewing table and slid the fabric and batt roll onto it.

The fabric and batt came up from below.

Fold both sides toward the middle and sew.

I let the sewn "rope" puddle on the floor.

When the fabric was gone I still had a little batting left on the roll.

Since green was the last color off the spool it became the center of the rug. Zigzag stitch going around and around and around.

This rug is for Sasha to sleep on while in my sewing room.

She loves her rug.

She loves it more when it's in the sunshine.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Beach Road Coverlet

"Beach Road" coverlet 60" x 72"
 designed by Susan Holman, 2018

Fabric needed: 
1 set of 40 fat eights. (I used Beach Road by Jen Kingwell)
3 yards of complimentary solid color (Aqua Infinite Dots by Victoria Findlay Wolfe)

From each print cut 2: 2" x 22". From solid cut 40: 2" x Width Of Fabric.
Sub cut the solid into 22" lengths.
Sew the prints to the solids. Press seams toward the solid.

Cut each strip set into 6 units each 3 1/2" square.

Make separate piles with 40 units each--1 of each print.

Sew each pile into a Block with 8 rows of 5 units each.
Start upper left with the solid color, alternate each row to get the pattern.
Press vertical seams toward the solid. Press horizontal seams all one direction.
Make 12 Blocks. Each should be 15 1/2" x 24 1/2". Each Block will have 40 unique fabrics.
Sew the Blocks together in 3 rows of 4 Blocks each. It should then be 60 1/2" x 72 1/2".

I layered the quilt top with a pieced backing (NO BATTING) and quilted it along all seam lines.
(I chose to eliminate the batting to purposely make this a lightweight coverlet.)

Quilt along the seam lines.

Add binding. Machine wash and dry. Done!

I pieced one of each fabric and added beach footprint fabric.

The label has a selvage from the Beach Road by Jen Kingwell fabric and I added a solid blue fabric with my name and the year finished.

The back has seashells and foot prints.

This is half the Beach Road coverlet.