Monday, January 8, 2018

On Ringo Lake 2017 Quiltville Mystery

The 2017 Quiltville Mystery "On Ringo Lake" designed by Bonnie Hunter began the day after Thanksgiving with clue #1. I didn't change the colors she used I just intensified them.

9 patch blocks was clue #1.

Orange flying geese was clue #2.

Clue #3 had a different scale of unit. These were destined to be sashing pieces but I made them into the outside border on my quilt.
Clue #4 was the aqua square plus 2 brown triangles.
Clue #6 added the orange triangle to make it square.


Clue #5 was brown flying geese.
In clue #7  we sewed the orange and brown geese together in pairs.

Clue #8 was assembling the blocks using the previous clues.

Clue #9 was the reveal on the setting. This was where I jumped ship and did my own thing with the setting. I used her sashing units and sewed them together to make this cool zig zag for the outside border. I used a narrow brown sashing fabric cut 1" wide to frame the blocks and help with the bulky seam joints.
I only used half of the blocks and did a straight setting 5 x 5 plus the border. My quilt top finished at 57"x57" but after quilting and washing it was 54" x 54".

This is Bonnie Hunter's "On Ringo Lake" quilt setting.


I like the intense oranges and browns in this quilt. It is almost 100% batiks.
( I did add one gecko face for fun.)
I'm not sure what I'll do with the other half of the blocks yet.




8 comments:

  1. I love your setting and your colors! This makes me want to do another one and use this setting - very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous. I really like the final setting you chose and that border adaptation is brilliant. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you did with your On Ringo Lake quilt parts. Nice work!! Your border just might be the way I go with my own version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that finished quickly! It looks really good with the zig-zag border and your lovely batik fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you showed your step by steps photos, leading to the excellent reveal - love how yours has turned out and a lovely finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stellar setting! I like the idea of the 1" sashing strip -- I'm struggling with the bulk of the seams. Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous! I love all the creative touches you added to make a terrific quilt! I can't believe you finished it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! I love how you changed up the setting. :)

    ReplyDelete